Introduction of monetization on IGTV can be a game changer. You would want to hop onto an early train and be prepared to reap the rewards. Read this article so you don’t miss out on anything.
Before we move on, we wanted to clarify one question.
What is IGTV?
It represents a vertical-oriented, long-form video channel available on Instagram and as a self-functioning app.
At first, IGTV was intended for the way you use your phone, with full screen and vertical videos. Each video can be an hour-long, unlike Instagram videos that are limited to one minute.
It didn’t have a very successful start. Series of unfortunate events followed its launch. People were saying that it flopped. But did it?
How does IGTV operate?
As soon as you open the app, the IGTV starts playing. You can watch the content of people you already follow without searching right away.
If you want to discover more, you can swipe up the switch between “For You,” “Following,” “Popular” and “Continue Watching.”
Of course, you can like, send comments and videos to your friends in Direct messages.
On your Instagram account, you can access IGTV by tapping on the search button. In the left upper corner, you will see the button.
Tap on it and you will be ready to explore.
How to use IGTV in 2021?
It is a part of Instagram, therefore you don’t need to create separate account for it. All you need is an IG account and you are good to go.
To upload a video on IGTV follow these steps:
- Tap on the upload post button or on the + button in the middle of your newsfeed.
- Select a video you want to upload and select NEXT.
- Select the option Share as long video. In this way, the full video will be posted. Tap on the CONTINUE option.
- Now you should select a cover for your video. You can add it directly from your gallery or select it from its frame. Tap on the NEXT option after that.
- The next step is to add the title and description to your video. You can now post a preview of the video on your newsfeed. You can also cross-promote it by making it available on the Facebook newsfeed.
- Finally, tap on the POST option and you are done. You have successfully posted an IGTV video on your Instagram account.
You can upload a video by opening IGTV in your Instagram account, as shown above, and tapping the + button. All other steps are the same as in the description above.
How long can IGTV videos be?
If you are unsure about the length of these videos or any other specs, this list will help you out.
- Video length:
- At least one minute long
- Max. 15 minutes when uploading on mobile
- Max. 1 hour when uploading on the web
- Video format: MP4
- Aspect ratio:
- Horizontal: 16.9
- Vertical: 9:16
- Min. resolution: 720 pixels
- Min. frame rate: 30 FPS (frames per sec)
- Video size
- Max. file size for the videos 10 minutes long or less: 650 MB
- Max file size for the videos up to 60 minutes: 3.6 GB
- Cover photo size: 420px by 654ph or 1:1.55 ratio
Don’t forget: Cover photo cannot be edited once you upload it. Make sure it is perfect before you do so.
How to download IGTV videos?
You can, in fact, download these videos. But make sure that you have permission to do so and tag content creators accordingly when you post the video to your profile. It is very important that you respect copyright laws.
If you are in violation of intellectual property rights you are making a criminal offense.
Simply google IGTV downloader and you will get few options to do so. We choose saveigtv.com.
Once you open the website you will see this.
The process is fairly simple.
Go to the IGTV video you want to download.
Copy the URL of the video and paste it to the search bar. Then you should press the Download IGTV Video button.
The video you choose will appear and then you can download it.
Press the three dots on the right side to download the video.
How to share Instagram Television Videos?
- Open the video you would like to share.
- Tap on the arrow button.
- Tap Add video to your story. This allows you to add stickers, filters or text to your story.
- Click Send to.
- On the right side of Your Story, you should tap Share and then tap Done.
Now all your followers can watch the video you posted.
Can I shoot an IGTV video with my DSLR camera or only on my phone?
Yes. You can shoot a IGTV video with your DSLR camera. Keep reading to find out how.
How to shoot IGTV video with DSLR camera?
Turn your camera horizontally when you are recording. You need to do this so that your video aspect ratio matches the aspect ratio supported by the IGTV platform.
Don’t forget that you should only shoot vertical videos since it only lets users upload videos in portrait format.
You will also need a video editing software to turn your raw footage into a final form that is ready for posting.
How to shoot IGTV video with a Smartphone?
It is slightly easier to record an IGTV video with a smartphone than it is with a DSLR camera due to its restriction to only uploading vertically oriented videos.
Of course, you will need a smartphone that has relatively powerful camera that can capture videos in HD or Ultra HD quality.
We recommend using a tripod to ensure that the footage is not affected by camera shakes. You can use the camera app that comes with your phone or download an app that has professional camera features.
In order to get perfect sound quality without background noise we suggest using an external microphone.
The reason why is that built-in microphones on smartphones pick up background noises very often and the sound quality they capture is not the best.
You don’t have to record audio. You can simply add music to your video during post-production stage.
Can you see who views your videos?
No. There is no way to know who watched your videos and no one will ever know that you watched theirs either. No app, or trick can get around this so be aware of scammers.
You can see the number of people that watched your videos but not who they are.
How to use IGTV for business?
Like in any other social media, to use IGTV for business you will have to be strategic about what you are doing.
Pro tip: When you are uploading video add links in the description to drive traffic to your website.
When you are using IGTV for business focus on these 8 things:
- Always provide value. You want your followers to gain something from your videos, it would be perfect to add a personal touch.
- Introduce yourself and tell people what you are all about and why you do what you do.
- Showcase your work. You will get feedback from the customers that is worth gold.
- Post tutorial videos to highlight the features of your products. Many businesses already do this by posting webinars, tutorials, or how-to videos.
- Feature customer success stories and input – this builds your social proof.
- Host Q&A or AMA (ask me anything) sessions to engage directly with your customers.
- Reuse your popular video content. You can repurpose your horizontal videos on YouTube and Facebook or even live-stream recordings. Firstly, you will have to edit them so that they are in vertical format. You can repurpose your blog posts into IGTV videos by using short tips and listicles.
Monetization on IGTV
When it rolled out it didn’t have monetization system. But from 2021 this has changed. Video creators will make money by playing short ads along with their content.
For this to happen they have to agree to follow the Partner Program Monetization Policies.
When will monetization on IGTV become available?
It is still in the testing phase. It has been rolled out to some content creators who are participating in initial testing of in-stream ads on their videos.
Depending on the result of these testing, other creators can look forward to his opportunity in coming months. But, as any social media update, it will take a lot of testing before it becomes truly widespread.
There are no rules yet who can become eligible for IGTV monetization.
The only thing we know is that in order to qualify you will have to abide by Partner Monetization Policies. We can only presume that they will be similar to Facebook’s policies since Instagram is owned by Facebook.
We hope that in this article we have answered most of your questions about IGTV.
We believe that if the monetization process becomes successful this platform will gain in popularity. So don’t be a day late, to not be a dollar short.
If you have any more questions, feel free to write in the comments and we will do our best to answer them.